California Innovations has expanded the recall of Cryofreeze ice/hot packs and Arctic Zone ice gel packs.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission said if the packs become damaged they can leak gel, which could contain diethylene glycol and ethylene glycol which can cause illness if consumed in large amounts.
Approximately 880,000 units have been recalled. There were 248,000 ice packs recalled in January of this year that are associated with lunch boxes.
The products were sold individually as well as with lunch boxes, coolers, and thermal carriers.
There are six gel pack-style ice packs being recalled:
- Cryofreeze ice/hot packs in small and large styles. Both have opaque blue wrappers with the words "Cryofreeze," "Ice Pack/Hot Pack," "Non-toxic" and "Reusable" printed on the front:
- The small gel pack is 6 inches wide and 5.5 inches high
- The large gel pack is 8.5 inches wide and 8 inches high
- Cryofreeze Transparent Cell ice/hot packs in three styles. Each has a transparent wrapper with the words "Cryofreeze," "Ice Pack/Hot Pack," "Non-toxic" and "Reusable" printed on the front:
- One 3-cell pack has three connected rectangular-shaped pouches of blue gel and is 7.85 inches wide and 5.5 inches high.
- Another 3-cell pack has three connected square-shaped pouches of blue gel and is 7.6 inches wide and 3 inches high.
- The 2-cell pack has two connected square-shaped pouches of blue gel and is 5 inches wide and 3 inches high.
- Arctic Zone ice pack is 6.25 inches wide and 4 inches high and has an opaque blue wrapper. The Arctic Zone logo and a picture of an iceberg appear on the front of the wrapper. The words "ICE," "Personal Ice Pack" and "Non-Toxic Leak Proof Gel" are also printed on the front of the wrapper.
The ice packs were sold nationwide at department stores, national retailers and online sellers, between July 2007 and December 2008.
Consumers should stop using these products immediately and dispose of them according to federal, state and/or local regulations. Consumers can contact California Innovations to receive a $6 cash refund for the large (8.5-inchx8inch) and a $5 refund for all other gel packs.
For additional information, call California Innovations at 800-722-2545 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, e-mail email@example.com or visit the company’s website at www.californiainnovations.com