One Injured in Weekend Kitchen Fire at Philadelphia Cricket Club
A cook was taken to the hospital following a small grill "explosion."
Two cooks were burned in a weekend kitchen fire at the Philadelphia Cricket Club, with one sustaining injuries severe enough to warrant a trip to the hospital, reports show.
According to a report at the Whitemarsh Police station, the incident occurred at approximately 5 p.m. Saturday when the cooks were attempting to light the pilot light on a grill in the facility's kitchen.
One cook, a 22-year-old Philadelphia man, was having difficulty getting the grill started, while a second cook, a 27-year-old Hatfield man, was standing with his back to him.
Suddenly, there was an explosion that was described by a third cook as a "big ball of fire," the report said.
Police were called and by the time officers arrived, the fire had been put out by a manual extinguisher and an overhead system. While both victims were awake and coherent, the 22-year-old had suffered "moderate burns around is face, lips, and on his arms," and was taken by ambulance to a hospital, the report said.
The second cook also complained of minor burns to the back of his neck. Police interviewed the third cook, who stated that he was aware that the pilot light wasn't working and believes there may have been a gas leak, the report said.
Montgomery County Health Department records show that the Cricket Club was routinely inspected on May 29, 2012. While a few minor violations, such as incorrect placement of an ice cream scoop, were recorded, the location passed inspection with no mention of a problem with any equipment or appliances.
Records also show that an inspector revisited the site twice after the fire, once to close the kitchen, and a second to reopen it on Sunday after the area had been properly restored.
The incident was deemed an accident with no further investigation warranted, according to staff at the Whitemarsh Fire Marshal's office.